Steel Dynamics, Inc. and our affiliates and subsidiaries (collectively, “Steel Dynamics”) is committed to protecting the privacy of your information. The following California Privacy Notice (“Notice”) is intended for California residents and sets forth our policies and practices regarding how we use and share the information we collect about you when you:
- Visit and interact with our main website (www.steeldynamics.com) or other website that Steel Dynamics owns or controls and links to this Notice (collectively, the “Sites”);
- Interact with us online or offline, including by email, telephone, facsimile, social media, and in person at our facilities, trade shows, or other events; or
- Otherwise interact with us and we refer you to this Privacy Notice.
This Privacy Notice is effective as of 9/11/2020
This Notice applies to Steel Dynamics, Inc. its subsidiaries listed below. This Notice applies regardless of the medium in which the Site is accessed by a user (e.g., via a web or mobile browser).
New Millennium Building Systems, LLC
Vulcan Threaded Products, Inc.
Steel of West Virginia, Inc.
SWVA Kentucky, LLC
Marshall Steel, Inc
Steel Ventures, Inc.
Steel Dynamics Heartland, LLC
The Techs Industries, LLC
Steel Dynamics Columbus, LLC
United Steel Supply, LLC
What Information We Collect
“Personal Data” is information that identifies, relates to, describes, is reasonably capable of being associated with, or could reasonably be linked, directly or indirectly, with you or your household.
We may collect the following Personal Data about you when you visit the Sites, register a user account with the Sites, order our products, sign up to receive email or other communications from us, communicate with us online or offline, or otherwise voluntarily provide information to us. We may collect the following types of Personal Data about you:
- Direct identifiers, such as your name, business address, email address, telephone number, and other contact information;
- Online Account Information, such as the username and log-in credentials you use to register and access a user account on the Sites;
- User-generated online content, including information we receive when you submit content via the Sites by completing an online form;
- Log Data, which includes information that your browser sends whenever you visit a website. This Log Data may include your Internet Protocol address, browser type and settings, the date and time of your request, how you used the Sites, and cookie data.
- Site usage information, including information we automatically receive about the devices you use to access the Sites, your IP address, the type of Internet browser you are using to visit the Sites, or the areas of the Sites you visited and the actions you performed on the Sites;
- Other information you choose to provide, such as when you participate in a survey, promotion, request customer support, or otherwise communicate with us; and
We collect Personal Data through:
- Direct interactions with you, such as when you voluntarily provide your information to us by contacting us, completing online forms, registering an online account, placing an order, subscribing to our newsletters, applying for a job, or otherwise engaging with our Sites.
How We Use Your Personal Data
We use your Personal Data to deliver our Site and related services to you, comply with applicable law, and improve your experience of the Site. For example, we use your Personal Data for the following purposes and on the following bases:
- Providing you with the products and services you have ordered and communicating with you regarding your request or transaction.
- Sending you marketing communications, because it is in our legitimate interest to inform you about our products and services that may be of interest to you. We will only use your information for marketing purposes pursuant to your legal consent.
- Performing website traffic analysis and usage analytics. We do this to better understand your preferences with respect to the Site, which will allow us to improve your user experience.
How We Share Your Personal Data
We may share your Personal Data with the following categories of third parties:
- Third-party service providers and suppliers who need access to Personal Data to assist us with delivering the Site and related services to you. For example, such third parties include payment processors; information technology service providers; job recruiting platforms; website hosting providers; marketing, accounting, shipping, and delivery vendors; and other business process outsourcing providers. We share only the minimum amount of Personal Data with these service providers that they need to perform their tasks.
- Third-party service providers who need access to Personal Data to perform website usage analytics and targeted advertising.
- Our corporate affiliates, when necessary to complete the processing activities described above.
- Public and governmental authorities that regulate or have jurisdiction over Steel Dynamics, such as regulatory authorities, law enforcement, public bodies, and judicial bodies.
- Other third parties, as reasonably necessary:
- In relation to a merger, sale, acquisition, divesture, restructuring, reorganization, dissolution, bankruptcy, or other change of ownership or control (whether in whole or in part);
- To establish, exercise, or defend our legal rights; and
- To prevent fraud and reduce credit risk.
Advertising and Analytics Services Provided by Third Parties
The third-party service providers we use for advertising and analytics include, but are not limited to:
Your California Privacy Rights
California residents have the privacy rights listed below. The rights listed below under the California Consumer Privacy Act and Shine the Light are not the same. To exercise your rights as a California resident, you will need to follow the directions below that are specific to each law.
California Consumer Privacy Act. Please note that the California Consumer Privacy Act (“CCPA”) provides certain exceptions with respect to the Personal Data of certain California residents. Similarly, it does not apply to information we collect in the context of a person’s role as a job applicant, employee, contractor, officer or director, vendor, or supplier of Steel Dynamics. With respect to the Personal Data collected in connection with such individuals or circumstances, you may not have any or all of the privacy rights listed below.
Collection, Use, and Disclosure of Your Personal Data in the Past 12 Months. The CCPA requires that we make certain disclosures about our general collection, use and disclosure of California consumer Personal Data over the past 12 months. Accordingly, in the past 12 months:
- We collected the categories of Personal Data from the sources detailed in “Collection of Personal Data” and for the purposes described in “How We Use Your Personal Data” above.
- We did not sell any Personal Data as we understand this term under the CCPA and its implementing regulations.
- We have disclosed the categories of Personal Data listed in “Collection of Personal Data” to third parties. The categories of third parties with whom we have shared this Personal Data in the past 12 months are detailed above in “How We Share Your Personal Data.”
Request to Know. You have the right to request to know the following information about our practices over the past 12 months: (i) the categories of Personal Data we collected about you; (ii) the categories of sources from which we collected the Personal Data about you; (iii) the categories of third parties with which we share Personal Data, (iv) the categories of Personal Data we sold or disclosed about you and for each category, the categories of third parties to which we sold or disclosed that particular category of Personal Data; (v) our business or commercial purpose for collecting or selling your Personal Data; and (vi) the specific pieces of Personal Data we collected about you.
You may exercise your right to request to know twice a year, free of charge. If we are unable to fulfill your request to know, we will let you know the reason why. Please note, in response to a request to know, we are prohibited from disclosing your Social Security number, driver’s license number or other government-issued identification number, financial account number, any health insurance or medical identification number, an account password, security questions or answers, and unique biometric data generated from measurements or technical analysis of human characteristics.
Request to Delete. You have the right to request that we delete the Personal Data that we have collected from you. We may deny your request under certain circumstances, such as if we need to retain your Personal Data to comply with our legal obligations or if retaining the information is necessary to complete a transaction for which your Personal Data was collected. If we deny your request to delete, we will let you know the reason why.
Right to Non-Discrimination. If you choose to exercise any of these rights, we will not discriminate against you in any way. If you exercise certain rights, understand that you may be unable to use or access certain features of our Websites.
To make a request to know or a request to delete, please contact us using the information provided under “Contact Us” below.
We will take steps to verify your identity before processing your request to know or request to delete. We will not fulfill your request unless you have provided sufficient information for us to reasonably verify that you are the individual about whom we collected Personal Data. If you have an account with us, we will use our existing account authentication practices to verify your identity. If you do not have an account with us, we will not require you to create an account with us but we may request additional information about you so that we can verify your identity. We will only use the Personal Data you provide to verify your identity and to process your request, unless you initially provided the information for another purpose.
You may use an authorized agent to submit a request to know or a request to delete. When we verify your agent’s request, we may verify both your and your agent’s identity and request a signed document from you that authorizes your agent to make the request on your behalf. To protect your Personal Data, we reserve the right to deny a request from an agent that does not submit proof that they have been authorized by you to act on your behalf. You may also make a verifiable consumer request on behalf of your minor child.
California Shine the Light
California residents may also request information from us once per calendar year about any Personal Data shared with third parties for the third party’s own direct marketing purposes, including the categories of information and the names and addresses of those businesses with which we have shared such information. To make such a request, please reach us at the contact information listed below. This request may be made no more than once per calendar year, and we reserve our right not to respond to requests submitted other than to the email or mailing addresses specified below.
The security of your information is important to us. We have implemented reasonable technical, physical and administrative security measures intended to protect your Personal Data from unauthorized access, disclosure, alteration or destruction. Please keep in mind, however, that no data transmitted over the Internet is 100% secure and any information disclosed online can potentially be collected and used by persons other than the intended recipient. Accordingly, we cannot guarantee or warrant the security of any information you transmit using the Site.
If you would like to learn more about how we protect your Personal Data, you may contact us at the information we provide below.
To opt-out of receiving marketing communications from us, please click the unsubscribe link at the bottom of a marketing email or let us know by reaching us at the contact information below. Please note that even if we stop all marketing communications, you may still receive administrative, legal, and other important communications from us.
We do not market to and do not knowingly collect any Personal Data from or about a child under the age of 13 without the consent of the child’s parent or legal guardian.
The Site may contain links to websites not affiliated with us. Your use of an external website or any informational content found on an external website is subject to and governed by the privacy policies, terms, and conditions of that website. We do not endorse or make any representations or warranties concerning, and will not in any way be liable for, any informational content, products, services, software, or other materials available on an external website, even if one or more pages of the external website are framed within a page of our Site. Further, we are not responsible for the privacy practices of any external Site.
Do Not Track
Certain web browsers and other devices you may use to access the Site may permit you to submit your preference that you do not wish to be “tracked” online. We do not currently commit to responding to these submissions, in part, because no common industry standard for “do not track” has been adopted by industry groups, technology companies, or regulators.
Notice to Residents of Countries Outside of the United States
Steel Dynamics makes no claims that the Sites and its contents are appropriate for use outside of the United States. If you access this website from outside the United States, you do so at your own risk and are responsible for compliance with the laws of your jurisdiction. If you visit the Sites, conduct business with us online, or otherwise contact us from outside of the United States, please be advised that (i) any information you provide to us or that we automatically collect will be transferred to and processed in the United States or in other countries where our affiliates or vendors are located; and (ii) that by using our online services or submitting your information, you explicitly authorize its transfer to and subsequent processing in the United States in accordance with United States law and this Privacy Notice.
Updates to the Privacy Notice
If you have any questions, comments, or concerns, or would like to access or correct your Personal Data and privacy preferences, please contact Steel Dynamics by using the following information:
Rich Madden / firstname.lastname@example.org